Austria will always be at the top of the travel charts for me. I love being on the road and getting to know new places. But it really doesn't always have to be an international trip, because here in Austria it is not only gorgeous but also very diverse. This year especially, I am focusing on my home country and want to show you the most breathtaking places in Austria. A bucket list is the best way to do this.
In this article, I will tell you which places are my favourite destinations and have therefore earned a place on my Austria Bucket List.
My Austria Bucket List was inspired by the lovely Sophia of Sophia's World. I discovered her Germany Bucket List a few weeks ago on Pinterest and took it as inspiration to share more about my own home country on this blog with you!
My Austria Bucket List
01. Take a leisurely hike to Hinterer Gosausee. For me, Gosau is one of the most beautiful places in Austria! Many people don't know this paradise in the middle of the Alps, as they all go to Hallstatt and therefore don't even come to Gosau.
02. Breathe the mountain air along the Nockalm Road. The panorama road through the Nockberge mountains is an ideal day trip or a great weekend destination in Carinthia.
03. Go on a white-water rafting tour in the Gesäuse with friends.
04. Marvel at the poppies in full bloom. In early summer, explore the bright red and purple fields in the countryside and enjoy the blaze of colour.
05. Travel across Austria on the Panorama Train. Several times a day there are train connections from Graz to Zurich, one of which is equipped with a panorama compartment with high windows. Make sure you reserve your seat and enjoy the trip through the Alps.
06. Explore the crystal clear underwater world in the Fernsteinsee. Just dive down and discover this lake under the surface.
07. Take a trip into the past at the Zwentendorf nuclear power plant. The nuclear power plant was completed, but not put into operation after a referendum. Today, safety training courses and guided tours take place at the Zwentendorf nuclear power plant, where you can even step inside the reactor.
08. Explore river Traun from within the water. Equipped with a wetsuit, dive mask and fins, you float down the river Traun. Fun guaranteed!
09. Discover Vienna off the beaten track. This includes places such as the Guggelhupf, the Strudelhofstiege, the Melkerhof, the Spittelau waste incineration plant and the counterfeit museum.
10. Relax and unwind at Landgut Moserhof. Experience a cosy chalet holiday in the mountains of Carinthia.
11. Send your Christmas wishes to the Christkind (Austria's version of Santa). At the 4411 special post office in Christkindl, a team is working hard to answer all the wish lists and letters to the Christkind.
12. Experience pure driving pleasure in a convertible along the Grossglockner High Alpine Road. And with a bit of luck, you might even see some marmots.
13. Enjoy the natural paradise on Lake Weissensee and unwind. Take a walk around the lake and pause for a moment in the swing on the shore.
14. Marvel at the world's largest monastery library at Admont Abbey. And discover the secret door leading to the gallery.
15. Hike with alpacas. Because they are simply the best animals.
16. Lie in the Infinity Pool and enjoy the stunning view of the Kitzsteinhorn. At the Tauern Spa in Kaprun, it's easy to switch off, especially with such an impressive mountain panorama.
17. Explore the Wachau during the apricot harvest and eat one or the other apricot.
18. Canoe across Carinthia once. On the Drava Paddle Trail, you can see the beautiful and idyllic landscape from a different angle.
19. Learn about the history of beer in the Gösseum. The Gösser Brewery in Leoben has one of the best brewery museums in Austria. Many interactive elements and tasting of the beer are part of the museum.
20. Race down the mountain on a summer toboggan run. Then once again. And again. And again.
21. Relax in hot water and marvel at the artistic architecture of Hundertwasser at Rogner Bad Blumau.
22. Combine the best Styrian bites with excellent wine at the Styrian Spring Festival (Steiermark Frühling) at the Rathausplatz in Vienna.
23. Visit Melk Abbey from the inside and feel very tiny while walking around.
24. Immerse yourself in a botanical paradise in the Garden of Secrets. This garden lives up to its name. Besides the colourful flower beds, there is also a small café. In the small shop, you can buy plants for your own garden.
25. Learn how chocolate is made at the Zotter chocolate factory.
26. Admire the painted skulls in the Charnel House in Hallstatt. There are more than 600 skulls, some of which date back to the 18th century.
27. Go for a hike in the Bärenschützklamm Gorge. Climb up the numerous steps and enjoy nature.
28. Stroll through the oldest monastery of the baroque period in St. Florian. Marvel at the magnificent marble hall and the abbey library with over 150,000 items.
29. Enjoy the amusing shape of the Schwammerlturm (Mushroom Tower) in Leoben. The tower was already built in the 13th century – at that time with a pointed roof. The roof framework was heavily damaged by an earthquake. As a result, the tower got a new roof – with a dome.
30. Admire the Schlögener Schlinge after a short walk from the viewing platform. In this part of Upper Austria, the Danube makes some extreme bends.
31. Learn more about the ancient gold in a salt mine. After a visit to Hallstatt, simply take the funicular to the Salt Worlds and march into the mountain. My personal highlight: the wooden slides that connect the different floors in the show mine.
32. Paraglide over the Streif ski racetrack and become aware of the difficulty of the track.
33. Attend a ski race! Especially the Hahnenkamm Race in Kitzbühel or the Night Slalom in Schladming are really exciting.
34. Immerse yourself in a world of ice in the ice cave in the Tennengebirge mountains in Salzburg.
35. Visit the Riegersburg and enjoy the brilliant view of the surrounding countryside.
36. Discover the beautiful old town of Steyr. And fall completely in love with the third-largest city in Upper Austria.
37. Be present at the Glockenspielplatz in Graz at the right time when the glockenspiel chimes.
38. Choose a piece from the dessert display case of the Zauner confectionery in Bad Ischl and enjoy it!
39. Explore the street art scene in Linz. A walk through the port of Linz is always worthwhile to explore Mural Harbour.
40. Visit all the federal states and decide for yourself which one you like best.
41. Visit Kreuzenstein Castle and imagine how The Pillars of the Earth or The Witcher were filmed here.
42. Explore the highest waterfalls in Austria and be amazed. The Krimml Waterfalls in the Hohe Tauern National Park are 385 metres high and plunge down three levels.
43. Watch the windsurfers at Lake Neusiedl and try it yourself.
44. Admire the view from the Pyramidenkogel on the turquoise blue Wörthersee and then come back down using the slide.
45. Let yourself be enchanted by the blue and green tones of the water of Lake Attersee and believe for a few moments that you are in the Caribbean.
46. Find the most beautiful grave at the Central Cemetery and visit famous Austrians like Falco.
47. Stop at the restaurant Weißes Rössl at the Wolfgangsee and listen to the voice of Peter Alexander humming in your head.
48. Get to know the local mountain of Gmunden and explore the treetop path at Grünberg.
49. Dive into a magical world at the Harry Potter Café in Klagenfurt.
50. Cool off on hot summer days in the Achensee and admire the fantastic mountain scenery.
51. Go on an urban safari in Vienna and get up close to gophers and hamsters.
52. Get hold of a 0€ note in Mozart's birthplace and thus secure unbelieving glances from friends.
53. Discover the numerous castles and palaces in Burgenland and take a journey through time.
54. Spend the night in a bivouac on Lake Millstätter See and marvel at the starry sky until the early hours of the morning.
55. Make a detour to Kleinwalsertal. Due to its special alpine location, the valley can only be reached via Germany but is part of the province of Vorarlberg.
56. Find the best Kaiserschmarrn with plum compote and rave about it for a long time.
57. Spend a night in a mountain hut and enjoy the mountain air.
58. Fly down a mountain in Leogang at 80 miles an hour. The Flying Fox XXL is one of the longest and fastest rope slides in the world and with a magnificent panorama!
59. Feed and pet the friendly fish in the Alpine Aquarium Grüblsee while snorkelling or diving.
60. Take a walk around the Leopoldsteinersee and get to know the legend of Aquarius.
61. Fall in love with small towns like Schärding or Frohnleiten with their pastel-coloured house facades.
62. Ride the funicular up the Schafberg and enjoy the view over the Salzkammergut.
And what is on your Austria Bucket List?
Have you read my other blog posts about Austria?
Road Trip Salzkammergut
Fun Facts about Salzburg
How to spend a perfect day in Linz
Road Trip through the South of Styria
Paddle along the Drava
Scuba Diving in Carinthia
Scuba Diving with Eals
Ice Diving at Lake Weißensee
Pin this for later